As part of restoration, the façade’s structural and decorative elements have been re-painted with the blue and gold Cal colors as specified in the original design.
In 1918 the facade was designed by architect Willis Polk with a steel grid filled with individual glass windows, overlaid with balconies framed by an Edwardian decoration of stamped metal. The finished effect was a shimmering wall of glass, which is now known as a curtain wall technique.
The restoration work of the Hallidie Building started in 2011 and was conducted under the supervision of project manager The Albert Group.
The structure was named for Andrew Hallidie, a University regent, prominent San Franciscan and inventor of the cable car. The Hallidie Building was designated a San Francisco landmark and placed in the National Register of Historic Places in 1971.
McGinnis Chen Associates and Page & Turnbull are the architects, while Murphy Burr Curry and Toft, de Nevers & Lee are structural engineers. In addition, Cannon Constructors, Van Mulder Sheet Metal, MAS Metals, and ABC Painting have provided services for the renovation of the building.